2014 International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer
Theme - Ozone Layer Protection: The Mission Goes On
Photo Credit: Pavel Vakhrushev/Shutterstock
The Ozone Secretariat invites all Parties to the Montreal Protocol on Substances that Deplete the Ozone Layer to celebrate the 2014 International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer on 16 September, the day that was proclaimed as such by the resolution adopted by the United Nations General Assembly in 1994.
The theme for this year’s celebration is “Ozone Layer Protection: The Mission Goes On”. The Montreal Protocol has so far been successful in meeting some of its targets on phasing out ozone-depleting substances. As a result, the abundance of ozone-depleting substances in the atmosphere is declining and the ozone layer is expected to recover around the middle of this century. There are, however, some remaining challenges to the phase-out of ozone-depleting substances.
This year’s theme seeks to galvanize all stakeholders to increase their efforts to address the challenges. It was selected following an online voting exercise.
On this occasion, the Secretariat would be pleased to receive from your Government information on any plans for the celebration in your country. These plans will be shared on the Secretariat’s website for wide dissemination. Kindly send your plans to the Ozone Secretariat at email@example.com.
- Invitation letter to governments to commemorate the 2014 International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer [English] [Français] [Español]
- Ideas for Events
- Planned Activities by Parties
- Download Ozone Day 2014 Posters and Banners
- Social Media Pack
- The message of the United Nations Secretary-General on the 2014 International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer - 16 September 2014 [Arabic], [Chinese], [English], [French], [Russian], [Spanish]
- Watch Ozone Day 2014 Videos